Saag refers to dishes made with fragrant spices and leafy greens, such as spinach, mustard greens, or collards. These dishes are popular in Indian cuisine; some versions include potato or meat and other versions omit tomato. This simple chicken dish includes plenty of rich sauce, which pairs perfectly with steamed rice or other grains.
Use the 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet Cover with your 12 in. Chef's Gourmet Skillet.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat until several drops of water sprinkled in skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 minutes.
- Season chicken pieces with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Place half of chicken in skillet and cook for 5 - 7 minutes on each side until browned. Remove chicken and any juices from skillet to a bowl and set aside. Cook remaining chicken in the same way, being careful not to overcrowd the skillet.
- Add onions, garlic, and ginger and sauté for several minutes until lightly browned. Add salt, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, cloves, and cardamom and sauté for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add crushed tomatoes and spinach to skillet a little at a time, using tongs to mix spinach in until all is added. Cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove mixture from skillet, transfer to a blender and puree. Or blend mixture in skillet using a hand held immersion-style blender.
- Place mixture and browned chicken pieces back in skillet. Cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 - 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add yogurt, stir to combine, and taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice or chapatti bread.