13 servings using 5" (13cm) tortilla, 2 per serving; 8 servings using 8" (20cm) tortilla, 2 per serving
Saladmaster Food Processor
7 Qt./6.6 L Roaster with Cover
6 Qt. (5.6L) Culinary Basket
11" Large Skillet with Cover
small mixing bowl
large mixing bowl
It's a real fiesta when you serve these taquitos as a dinner or as a heavy hors d'oeuvre for guests. Delicious with either corn or flour tortillas; and the recipe for the marinade used for the chicken can be used for many occasions when you're cooking chicken in another manner.
Although Saladmaster does not recommend deep frying as part of a healthy lifestyle, you may choose to make fried food on occasion. And for those special times, we want to make cooking as easy as possible.
chicken breasts, skinned and boned
lime slices for garnish
garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
bell pepper, roasted, diced
(approximately 1⁄3 cup) green chile peppers, diced and drained
onion, julienned, use Cone #2
Monterey jack cheese, shredded, use Cone #1
corn tortillas or 13 flour tortillas
gallon + 1 1⁄2 quarts
canola oil for deep frying
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place chicken breasts in marinade, toss to cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove chicken from refrigerator, drain chicken, and discard marinade. Preheat skillet over medium heat. When drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, reduce heat to medium-low and place chicken in skillet; chicken will initially stick to skillet. Cover and bake for approximately 6 minutes. When chicken releases, turn, re-cover and cook other side, approximately 6 minutes (interior temperature should be 165°F/75°C). Allow to cool and then shred (use 2 forks - use one fork to hold the chicken steady while the other fork scrapes and tears the chicken apart).
- Place chicken in large bowl, add salt and garlic. Mix well.
- Add bell peppers, chiles, onions, cheese, lime juice and chipotle sauce. Blend thoroughly.
- Place culinary basket inside roaster and add oil in roaster (oil will just cover the woven basket portion up to the solid frame of the basket). Set temperature on medium heat. Heat oil to 350°F/175°C - 375°F/190°C; use a thermometer to test temperature before starting to cook. Do not overheat or under-heat oil.
- Meanwhile, assemble taquitos by placing a tortilla flat (you may want to use a cutting board), spoon approximately 2 heaping tablespoons (18g) of mixture into the middle of the tortilla and roll tightly. Secure with toothpicks.
- As you make the taquitos set aside in preparation for frying.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently place 4 taquitos into the oil. Oil will burst into churning bubbles. Cook until golden brown, stirring to cook on all sides (approximately 1 minute total).
- Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to capture excess oil.
- Repeat until all taquitos are cooked.
- Serve with guacamole, sour cream or plain yogurt, and/or salsa and lime slices.
- If you are using corn tortillas they will probably need to be warmed so they do not crumble apart. You can use the 8" Chef's Gourmet Skillet, over low heat, to heat each tortilla prior to filling. Heat one side approximately 30 seconds, turn with tongs, and heat other side approximately 30 seconds.
- To roast peppers, place under broiler until skin blackens and blisters. Remove skin prior to dicing.