4 servings, 1⁄2 chicken breast and 1 cup (390g) rice pilaf each
11" Large Skillet with Cover
5 Qt./4.7 L Multi-Purpose Oil Core
Figs are very high in fiber and add a sweet, exotic taste to a meal. Figs provide more fiber than any other common fruit or vegetable. The fiber in figs is both soluble and insoluble, and both types are important for good health. Easy and delicious, this meal is a unique and impressive dish to serve to both family and guests.
chicken broth, fat-free, sodium free
brown rice, long-grained
onion, strung, use Cone #2
celery, shredded, used Cone #1
dried figs, chopped
ounces, about 1⁄2 cup
prosciutto or ham, thinly sliced
chicken breast, boned, skinned
thyme sprigs (optional)
walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- Place chicken broth in MP5. Cover and set control on RIC2. When the Vapo-Valve™ clicks and the broth is at a boil, place wild rice and long-grained rice into the MP5 and cover.
- With 15 minutes remaining on the timer, stir in onions, celery, figs, prosciutto, thyme, salt, pepper and paprika. Blend well and re-cover. Once the MP5 has completed the cycle, keep warm in the covered MP5.
- Preheat skillet on medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on the pan skitter and dissipate, place chicken breasts in pan. Cover, but crack the lid (do not seal lid). When the chicken browns and loosens from pan, approximately 5 minutes, turn and brown other side, approximately 5 minutes. Fluids should run clear and chicken should not be pink inside.
- Spoon wild rice pilaf onto plates. Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise and place on top of pilaf. Garnish with thyme sprigs and sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired.
- Rice pilaf can be made earlier and heated prior to serving.
- Can substitute dried apricots for dried figs.