5 -6 portions
Saladmaster Food Processor
4.5 Qt. Mini Braiser Pan with Cover (Limited Edition)
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Chinese meatballs, known as Lion’s Head meatballs, because of the larger size, are a popular recipe often served during Chinese New Year. Lion’s Head meatballs are often made with ground pork, ginger and other spices. This adaption combines ground pork and turkey to reduce fat content without eliminating flavor.
ground turkey, lean
garlic, shredded Cone # 1
ginger, shredded Cone #1
Scallions, minced, green & white part
carrot, scrubbed, grated, Cone #2
water chestnuts, drained, grated, Cone #2
napa cabbage, shredded, (about 8-10 cups)
toasted sesame oil
- In a bowl combine ground pork, ground turkey, eggs, ginger, garlic, scallions, carrots, water chestnuts and salt. Mix well until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Divide meatball mixture evenly into about 15 meatballs, roll lightly with hands into loose round balls.
- Preheat Braiser pan on medium heat approximately 5-7 minutes or until several drops of water sprinkled on the pan skitter and dissipate
- Brown meatballs for about 3-4 minutes on all sides. Brown meatballs, but don’t worry that they are not cooked through at this point. Remove meatballs and set aside on clean plate.
- In a small bowl combine tamari and sesame oil.
- Shred cabbage into thin strips by placing cabbage leaves on top of each other and slicing thinly. Place shredded cabbage into a bowl of cool water, lift cabbage out of water and drain, shaking off excess water.
- Place shredded cabbage in Braiser pan to cover bottom of pan, spreading it out evenly, pressing down slightly so all of the cabbage fits into Braiser pan.
- Place meatballs on top of cabbage. Pour tamari mixture over meatballs.
- Place cover on Braiser pan, with heat set to medium. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily; turn heat to low and cook for 12-15 minutes until meatballs are cooked through and cabbage is soft.
- Serve portion of cabbage with meatballs on top, garnish with extra chopped scallions if desired.
- Substitute ground pork for ground beef
- Add sliced shitake mushrooms to shredded cabbage.
- Use a ice cream scoop to form meatballs. If meat is sticky, run hands or ice cream scoop under lukewarm water before forming meatballs.
- Serve this dish as is or add additional side dishes; steamed rice or noodles.