4 - 8 servings
11" Square Griddle
medium mixing bowl
large mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Fluffy and moist chocolate pancakes cook up quickly on the Saladmaster 11" Square Griddle. Layer chocolate griddle cakes, whipped cream and seasonal berries for an easy to make festive cake for summertime entertaining.
whole wheat pastry flour
natural salt, fine
cocoa powder, sifted
eggs, room temperature
butter, melted, room temperature
assorted berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- Preheat griddle over medium heat until several drops of water sprinkled on griddle skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes.
- While griddle is preheating, combine pastry flour, salt, baking soda and sugar in a bowl. Sift cocoa powder into flour mixture and whisk to continue.
- In another bowl, combine almond milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture and fold ingredients together until just combined; do not over mix.
- Use a scant ½ cup measure and pour batter onto preheated griddle. Cook pancake for approximately 2 - 3 minutes until small bubbles form on the surface. Flip pancake and cook for an additional 2 - 3 minutes until done. Transfer pancake to a plate and continue in the same way using the remaining batter. Pancake batter should make 5 large pancakes.
- To assemble the griddle cake, alternate layers of pancakes, whipped cream and berries, until all of the pancakes have been used. Decorate top of cake with remaining whipped cream and arrange berries on top in a decorative pattern.
- Chill cake until ready to serve. To make slicing easier, use bamboo skewers to secure cake layers and slice with a long serrated knife.
- Substitute whipped cream for Greek style vanilla yogurt.
- Substitute in-between layers of berries with fruit jam. Garnish top with fresh berries.