Calimyrna figs, native to Turkey and popular in Middle Eastern cuisine, add a honey like flavor to this warm dish. This simple to prepare dish is rich with sweet and fragrant spices and pairs well with couscous.
Use the 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet cover with your 12 in. Chef's Gourmet Skillet.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat until several drops of water sprinkled in skillet skitter and dissipate.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon, garlic powder, cumin, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a serving dish and rub spice mixture into pieces. Set aside while gathering the rest of the ingredients. Marinate for 3 - 4 hours or overnight for the best flavor.
- Add half the chicken pieces to preheated skillet, pressing chicken down slightly with turner. Place cover on skillet slightly ajar and cook for 3 - 5 minutes on each side until chicken is browned. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Cook remaining chicken pieces in the same way.
- Add onions to skillet and sauté for 5 - 8 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Add 1 cup of stock, lemon juice and figs to skillet. Stir to combine.
- Place browned chicken back into skillet, along with any juices that may have accumulated. Cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together ½ cup of stock and arrowroot powder. Add mixture to skillet, stir to combine and cook for an additional 3 - 5 minutes until juices are thickened.
- Taste and add additional seasonings as needed.
- Serve chicken with figs and sauce, garnished with chopped cilantro, scallions or fresh chives.
- Serve chicken with couscous or basmati rice.
- Substitute chicken thighs for boneless chicken breast.