11 servings, approximately 1 cup each
Saladmaster Food Processor
7 Qt./6.6 L Roaster with Cover
Janet Potts, RD, LD
onion, strung, use Cone #2
garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
4 - 6
reduced sodium chicken bouillon cubes
crushed tomatoes in tomato puree, 28 ounces
diced tomatoes in tomato juice, 28 ounces
dried basil, or 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh basil, chopped
dried oregano, or 1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh oregano, chopped
ground white pepper
fat-free half and half
- Preheat roaster over medium-high heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, add onion and sauté until clear. Add garlic and sauté 1 - 2 more minutes. Add water and bouillon cubes. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until bouillon is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- In blender, process onion mixture until smooth (place towel over top of blender before processing in case liquid splashes). Return mixture to roaster.
- Process crushed tomatoes in blender until smooth. Add to roaster. Process diced tomatoes in blender until smooth. Add to roaster. Mix in basil, oregano and pepper. Simmer 10 - 20 minutes.
- Measure 1 1⁄2 cups half and half into a 2-cup measuring cup. Gradually stir in 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 hot tomato mixture into half and half (this is an important step to prevent curdling). Gradually blend this mixture into simmering tomatoes. Repeat with reaming half and half. Serve hot.
- Recipe may be prepared up through step #3, then frozen in quart containers. Once thawed pour into 3 or 4 Quart Sauce Pan and heat. Blend in 1 1/2 cups fat-free half and half using the technique in step #4.
- Recipe may be multiplied by 6 and prepared through step #3 in the 16 Qt. Roaster.
- Soup base makes a good pasta sauce.