1 Qt./.9 L Sauce Pan with Cover
small mixing bowl
medium mixing bowl
fat-free half & half
orange extract, optional
- Using a serrated knife, cut chocolate into pieces. Place chocolate pieces in a medium heat-proof mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In sauce pan, bring half & half to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add extract, if desired.
- Pour half & half over chocolate pieces. Let stand 1 - 2 minutes and then blend until smooth. This mixture is called ganache. Refrigerate ganache approximately 1 hour.
- Using a melon baller or very small ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of hardened ganache. Use your hands to shape into smooth spheres and place on waxed paper.
- Place cocoa powder in a small bowl. Use 2 spoons to pick up each ganache ball and roll it in the cocoa powder. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Truffles can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to a month.
- Can substitute orange extract with other flavors such as coconut, strawberry or almond.
- Try coating the ganache balls in additional melted chocolate for a hard chocolate shell.
- Try adding whole almonds, pecan halves or dried fruit pieces to the center of the ganache when forming into balls; and try rolling the ganache balls in crushed nuts or a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.