6 cups sauce; 8 servings, 6 ounces each
Saladmaster Food Processor
5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
This rich and flavorful meat and tomato sauce is inspired by the classic Bolognese sauce, originating in Bologna, Italy. The variations to this sauce are endless, but always include finely minced onions, carrots and celery, also known as sofritto. Substitute red wine for white wine and include milk in the sauce for a more classic version.
onion, strung, use Cone #2
cloves garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
celery stalks, finely minced
carrots, trimmed, scrubbed and julienned, use Cone #2
lean ground beef
ground Italian sausage
dry red wine
fresh parsley leaves, chopped
salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat roaster over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in roaster skitter and dissipate, approximately 7 - 9 minutes, add onions, garlic, celery and carrots. Sauté for 10 - 12 minutes until vegetables are softened and lightly caramelized.
- Add ground beef and sausage. Place cover on roaster. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook 20 - 30 minutes, until meat is cooked through.
- Stir and break meat up with spoon. Add tomato paste, dry red wine and basil. Place cover back on roaster and cook over low heat for 40 - 50 minutes.
- Add parsley, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Serve sauce with thick tagliatelle, pappardelle or tube style pastas such as rigatoni or penne.
- Freeze cooled meat sauce in freezer containers for a quick weeknight meal.
- Serve meat sauce over broccoli rabe, roasted broccolini, grilled vegetables or over soft-style polenta.
- Use a variety of ground meats: ground turkey, veal, beef, or hot sausage.