4 servings as a main dish
Saladmaster Food Processor
11" Square Griddle
medium mixing bowl
7" Santoku Knife
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Eggplant cooks quickly on the Saladmaster Square Griddle without the use of any oil. This easy to prepare recipe makes an elegant lunch or brunch style entrée.
eggplant (approximately 1½ pounds), peeled and sliced into ½ -inch rounds
tomatoes, fresh, medium dice
baby arugula or mixed salad greens
shredded mozzarella cheese
whole grain pita bread pockets, or flatbread of choice
shaved pecorino Romano cheese, for garnish (optional)
clove garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
fresh ground pepper
basil leaves, fresh, minced
- Season eggplant slices with salt, to taste. Place in a colander and let rest for approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small jar, cover with lid and shake vigorously to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat griddle over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on griddle skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes, add eggplant and cook for 3 - 4 minutes until browned and softened. Turn eggplant and cook for an additional 3 - 4 minutes. Remove griddle from heat.
- When eggplant is cool enough to handle, but into medium dice and place in a bowl.
- Add chopped tomatoes and pour dressing over top. Toss to combine.
- Clean griddle and reheat over medium heat. Toast pita bread for 3 minutes, turn over and place 1 ounce mozzarella on top. Cook for an additional 3 - 4 minutes, until mozzarella is slightly melted.
- To serve, place warmed pita bread with mozzarella on plate. Top with ¼ of salad greens and then with ¼ of eggplant mixture. Garnish with shaved pecorino Romano cheese.
- Substitute pita bread pockets for your favorite flatbread or gluten-free wrap.
- Substitute dressing for 4 tablespoons of bottle Italian style dressing.