8 - 10 servings
Saladmaster Food Processor
9 Qt./8.5 L Braiser Pan with Cover
medium mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Many cultures near the coastlines have a favorite version of fish stew. Coconut, garlic, ginger and cilantro are a popular combination of ingredients in this Latin American inspired fish stew. This dish can be ready to serve in less than 30 minutes.
onion, strung, use Cone #2
cloves garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
stalks celery, strung, use Cone #2
ginger root, shredded, use Cone #1
red bell peppers, julienned, use Cone #2
salmon, halibut or cod filet, cut into 3 - 4 ounce portions
salt and pepper to taste
shrimp, peeled and deveined
fish stock or clam juice
coconut milk, unsweetened
3 - 4
lime juice, fresh
(45 - 60
crushed red pepper
scallions, sliced thin, green and white part
cilantro leaves, chopped
- Preheat pan over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes, add onions, garlic, celery, ginger and red peppers. Sauté for 7 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season fish portions with salt and pepper.
- Place fish portions and shrimp over sautéed vegetables.
- Combine fish stock, coconut milk, tomato paste, lime juice, crushed red pepper and salt in a bowl.
- Pour liquid over fish and cover pan. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 12 - 15 minutes until fish is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Garnish stew with scallions and chopped cilantro.
- Stew is delicious as is or accompanied with short grain brown rice, sushi-style rice or quinoa.
- If available, add 1 stalk lemongrass, crushed, to braising liquid while fish is cooking.
- Add 2 cans of drained and sliced hearts of palm.
- Substitute tomato paste for chopped fresh tomato.