Surprisingly quick, this guest-worthy recipe can be made after work and placed on the dinner table for guests or family that very evening. A blend of sweet and savory tastes will delight the palate and the subtle coffee undertone provides depth to this delicious dish.
- Place skillet over medium-low heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, place ham steak into pan to brown, approximately 3 - 4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and set aside. Remove skillet from heat.
- Meanwhile, place instant coffee in small bowl. Place water in tea kettle and bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour ¾ cup (180mL) water over coffee granules and stir to blend.
- Place onions in skillet and return skillet to heat; brown for approximately 1½ to 2 minutes.
- Stir remaining ingredients into the browning onions. Bring to simmer, stir and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until glaze begins to thicken.
- Return ham steak to skillet; turn to coat with sauce. Simmer about 5 minutes or until glaze reaches desired consistency. Place ham on serving plate and pour remaining sauce into a small pitcher for diners to add more sauce, if desired.
- Garnish with orange slices and parsley.
- Can substitute pork chops for ham steak.