Sausage gravy served over biscuits is a popular breakfast in the United States, particularly in the South. Substitute traditional pork sausage for lean ground pork with the addition of spices to cut back on overall fat content. Serve this dish over buttermilk biscuits.
- Preheat Ultimate Culinaire over medium heat until a sprinkle of water skitters and dissipates, about 7-9 minutes.
- Place ground pork in a bowl and add sage, fennel, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper and stir to season.
- Place seasoned ground pork in pan, in small pieces, sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up cooked meat into small pieces during cooking, this should take about 6-8 minutes.
- Slowly sprinkle flour over cooked pork, stirring to combine and coat pork, until all of the flour is incorporated.
- Gradually pour milk into pork mixture, whisking to combine and release any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Cover pan and when Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily turn heat down to low and cook for 15-20 minutes until gravy is thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary, add in a pinch or two of crushed red pepper for spicy sausage gravy.
- 8. Serve sausage gravy as is or over buttermilk biscuits or sweet potato biscuits.
- Substitute ground pork for chicken or turkey breakfast sausage meat.