Baking flatbread is an Icelandic tradition dating back centuries. When Icelandic homes did not have stoves flatbread was cooked on a pot that was turned over and placed on top of the embers. Pottbraud, or pot bread, was a simple recipe of rye and wheat flours. Flatbread is still very popular in Iceland and can be purchased in most grocery stores around the world.
- Place flours, salt, and baking powder in an electric mixer bowl and stir to mix with paddle attachment on low speed.
- With mixing machine on low, slowly pour in boiling water until dough forms a ball.
- Replace paddle attachment with dough hook and knead dough for several minutes until it is smooth. (To perform by hand simply place ingredients in a large mixing bowl and knead ingredients for approximately 5 minutes until dough is smooth.)
- Divide dough ball in 6 pieces and let rest for approximately 10 minutes. Cover dough with damp cloth to prevent drying out.
- After dough has rested roll out each piece with rolling pin until very thin. Dust rolling surface with a small amount of flour to prevent dough from sticking if necessary. Cut each piece into a 9-inch (22.9 cm) round, using a plate as guide. Prick flatbread with a fork all over surface to prevent air bubbles during cooking.
- Heat Flatbread Pan over medium heat until several drops of water skitter and dissipate, approximately 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 4 cups (960 mL) water in bottom of roaster, insert culinary basket in roaster and cover. Bring water to a boil over medium heat and turn down to low.
- Cook each flatbread over medium heat for approximately 3 - 5 minutes until there are black spots on bottom. Turn flatbread over and cook other side for an additional 3 minutes.
- Place each cooked flatbread in Culinary Basket with cover ajar to keep moist, soft and warm.
- Serve flatbreads warm plain or with your choice of toppings
- Serve flatbreads topped with soft sweet butter, smoked salmon, smoked trout, cheese, cucumbers or smoked lamb.
- Flatbreads can be reheated in Culinary Basket by placing water in the bottom of the roaster, bring water to boil, turn heat to low, place breads in culinary basket and basket into the roaster with cover ajar. Turn occasionally, for a few minutes.