6 - 8 servings
Saladmaster Food Processor
3 Qt./2.8 L Sauce Pan with Cover
5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
Raj and Kewal Singh
(454 - 510
medium onion, sliced, use Cone #4
1-inch (2.5 cm) piece fresh ginger
2 - 3
green chilies, or to taste
1 - 2
garam masala, or to taste
(2 - 4
1 - 2
turmeric powder, or to taste
(2 - 4
- Place kidney beans in 3 Qt. (2.8 L) Roaster with enough water to cover the beans. Cook over medium heat. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce temperature to low and cook for approximately 40 minutes.
- Prepare the onions. Finely chop or blend if preferred, the ginger, garlic and green chilies. Dice the potato.
- Preheat 5 Qt. (4.7 L) Roaster. When several drops of water sprinkled in roaster skitter and dissipate, add onions, ginger, garlic, and green chilies. Crack the cover and cook mixture until it is golden brown.
- Add tomatoes to the mixture, alongside half a tablespoon of salt (if desired), garam masala and turmeric powder.
- Add the cooked kidney beans and diced potatoes to the mixture. Cover.
- Cook on medium heat. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce temperature to low, leaving it for approximately 40 - 45 minutes.
- Soak beans overnight or with the quick-soak method.
- For quick-soak method, combine rinsed beans in utensil with enough water to cover the beans. Cook over medium heat until Vapo-Valve™ clicks, and reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and let beans stand for 1 hour to expand. Drain beans and cook according to recipe.