4 - 6 servings
1 ½ Qt./1.4 L Sauce Pan with Cover
10" Chef's Gourmet Skillet
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Also referred to as Mujaddara, this dish consists of cooked lentils, rice and caramelized onions. Mujaddara is found in many areas of the Middle East, each with a slight variation in seasonings. Serve this as a vegan entree or side dish,
onions, sliced, use Cone #4
scallions, white and green part, trim off ends and slice in 1⁄4-inch pieces
cloves garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- Heat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in skillet skitter and dissipate, add onions. Sauté for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are softened and lightly browned.
- Add scallions, garlic and a pinch of salt to onions. Reduce heat to low and sauté for an additional 5 - 8 minutes, until onions are caramelized.
- Place rice, vegetable stock, cumin, cinnamon, coriander and salt in sauce pan. Stir to combine.
- Turn heat to medium and place cover on pan. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 16 minutes.
- Remove cover and place drained lentils on top of rice.
- Place cover back on pan and turn off heat. Let rice sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir rice and lentils together to combine. Taste and add extra seasonings as needed.
- Serve rice and lentils with a portion of caramelized onions. on top or combine caramelized onions with rice and lentils.
- Serve warm as is, or top with chopped cilantro.