24 servings, approximately 1 cup each
Complete Gourmet Collection - 8.5 Qt. Roaster
Saladmaster Food Processor
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Lentils are a powerhouse of fiber, high in protein and low in cost. Besides being easy to prepare, they cook quickly. This one pot stew has an additional source of protein from quinoa and is full of nutritious vegetables. Top with shaved or grated cheese or fold in fresh chopped herbs for a bright pop of flavor.
leeks, white part, cut in 1⁄2 lengthwise and sliced thinly
celery, sliced, use Cone #4
carrots, trimmed, scrubbed and sliced, use Cone #4
red pepper, small dice
garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
italian herb seasoning
lentils, brown, washed and drained
sundried tomato, soaked in warm water to soften, cut into small pieces
green or yellow string beans, trimmed, cut into bite sized pieces
quinoa, white, red or tri-color, rinsed
apple cider vinegar
freshly chopped parsley, basil for garnish
optional: grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat roaster over medium heat for 7-9 minutes or until a sprinkle of water skitters and dissipates.
- Sauté leeks, celery, carrots, pepper and garlic for 5- 8 minutes.
- Add Italian herb blend, lentils and vegetable stock, stir to combine and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, turn heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add sundried tomato, green beans, quinoa and salt, stir to combine. Cover and cook for 30-45 minutes longer until quinoa is cooked, and lentils are soft.
- Stir in spinach, (it will wilt in hot stew), add vinegar, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Garnish with fresh chopped herbs and parmesan cheese if desired.
- Substitute leeks for onion
- Substitute green beans for broccoli
- Substitute spinach for other dark leafy greens, such as kale.
- Extra liquid in stew will get absorbed after cooking and when reheated, add in a little extra liquid and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add crushed red pepper or cayenne for a spicy kick.