5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
dried shiitake mushrooms
firm tofu, cut into 1⁄4-inch cubes
nori, cut into 1-inch squares (nori is dried edible seaweed)
fresh ginger, peeled and grated, use Cone #1
carrots, grated, use Cone #1
- Pour broth into roaster, bring to boil, then remove from heat.
- Add mushrooms into roaster, cover, and let stand for 20 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened. Remove mushrooms from broth with slotted spoon. Cut off and discard stems. Thinly slice the caps and set aside.
- Add to broth in roaster tofu, nori and ginger. Bring to simmer and cook for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, broccoli and carrots. Cover and simmer for 1 minute, just until broccoli turns bright green.
- Transfer 1 cup of the broth to a measuring cup and stir in miso with a fork until completely dissolved.
- Pour dissolved miso back into the soup and stir until it is well incorporated. Serve hot.
- Miso soup will keep up to 3 days in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Do not boil soup after miso is added because high heat will destroy the beneficial enzymes in the miso.