4 servings as entree
12" Chef's Gourmet Skillet
7" Santoku Knife
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Sablefish is a cold water fish sometimes called black cod or butterfish. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to be beneficial to overall heart health. If sablefish is not available, substitute salmon or codfish.
red onion, fine dice
garlic, finely minced
mushrooms (button or shitake), cleaned and cut into medium dice
Greek olives, pitted, chopped
artichoke hearts, drained, cut in half
wild capers, drained
white wine, dry
basil and parsley leaves combined, fresh, chopped
tomato, fresh, cut into medium dice, with juices
sable fish, fillet, trimmed, skin removed, cut into 4 oz (113g) portions
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 minutes, place onions in skillet and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes until lightly browned and softened.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and oregano and cook for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to soften.
- Add olives, artichoke hearts, capers and white wine. Stir to combine and cover. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add fresh herbs and tomatoes. Recover and cook for an additional 2 minutes, until tomatoes just begin to soften.
- Place artichoke stew in a bowl and set aside until ready to use.
- Season trimmed sablefish portions with salt and pepper.
- Clean and re-heat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 minutes, place fish in skillet and cover with lid slightly ajar. Cook fish 3 - 4 minutes until it browns and can be easily turned with spatula.
- Turn fish and cover. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 4 - 6 minutes until cooked through (cooking time will depend on thickness of fish filet).
- Divide artichoke stew into 4 portions and top with fish.
- Serve with a wedge of fresh lemon to squeeze on top, if desired.
- Mediterranean artichoke stew can be made in advance and stored for several days in the refrigerator. Stew is delicious served at room temperature or heated.
- Serve stew with a side of rice, sautéed spinach and garlic, or kale.
- Blot fish with paper towel after cooking to remove excess oil, if desired. Natural fat in the fish will help keep the fish moist and tender while roasting.