8 - 10 servings
Saladmaster Food Processor
5 Qt./4.7 L Multi-Purpose Oil Core
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Picadillo is a traditional dish found in Spain, the Philippines and other Latin American countries. It is made with ground meat, tomatoes, fragrant spices and other ingredients that vary depending on the region. Picadillo is often served in taco shells, with rice, fried plantain or as a filling in savory pastries.
onion, sliced, use Cone #4
cloves garlic, peeled and shredded, use Cone #1
lean ground beef
raisins or golden currants
mixed green and black olives, pitted and chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
lime wedges for garnish (optional)
- Preheat MP5, uncovered, at 375°F/190°C.
- Add onions and garlic to MP5. Sauté onions and garlic for 3 - 4 minutes until lightly browned and softened. Add ground meat and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, breaking apart with a spoon.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, oregano, cumin, crushed tomatoes, raisins and olives. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Place cover on MP5. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to 225°F/110°C and set timer to 30 minutes.
- Add cider vinegar. Taste picadillo and add salt and fresh ground pepper as needed. If picadillo is a little watery, turn heat back up to 375°F/190°C and let meat cook for an additional 10 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Serve picadillo warm as is or with taco shells, tortillas or rice. Garnish with a slice of lime.
- Substitute lean ground beef for ground pork, ground turkey or a combination of meats.
- Substitute lean ground beef for crumbled tempeh for a delicious vegan picadillo.