20 servings, 1 cup each
Saladmaster Food Processor
10 Qt./9.5 L Roaster with Cover
Janet Potts, RD, LD
This non-traditional manner of serving a traditional favorite will still give you all of the delicious tastes of pizza but without the greasy calories. Cook a little or cook a lot - this recipe will have your family cheering "ciao belle."
ground beef, 95% fat-free
onion, strung, use Cone #2
green bell pepper, chopped
mushrooms, sliced, use Cone #4
spaghetti sauce, fat-free
beef broth, fat-free
vegetable juice, (such as V-8 juice)
pasta, whole-grain penne
- Place ground beef in roaster over medium heat. Cook approximately 5 minutes or until brown, stirring occasionally and breaking into small pieces. Drain the fat, if any, that accumulates.
- Add onion and bell pepper to meat. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook for 3 - 4 minutes more.
- Add spaghetti sauce, broth, water and vegetable juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add dry pasta and continue to simmer for 15 minutes more or until pasta is tender.
- Vegans may use 1 or 2 12-ounce (340 g) bags of frozen meat substitute crumbles in place of ground beef. Add to soup after pasta is cooked.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Recipe may be cut in half and cooked in 5 Qt. Roaster.