18 mini pancakes, or 6 servings of 3 pancakes each
large mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Plantain is a staple ingredient in Nigerian food preparation. Unripe, ripe and overripe plantains can all be used to create sweet and savory dishes. Plantains can be fried, boiled, baked, grilled and roasted.
- Peel and cut plantains into small pieces and place in mixing bowl. Mash plantains with back of fork, add eggs and stir to combine.
- Add flour, salt and chili powder and stir to combine.
- Heat pan over medium heat until several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate.
- Turn heat to medium-low and add 1 tablespoon of batter to pan for each pancake, spacing out pancakes.
- Cook for 3 - 5 minutes until small bubbles begin to form on top of pancake. Flip pancake over and cook for an additional 3 - 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Keep pancakes warm until serving.
- Plantain are high in natural sugars and can burn easily so adjust heat accordingly so pancakes have time to cook thoroughly without burning.
- Serve mini plantain pancakes as a snack or appetizer as-is or with a savory sauce or hot sauce.
- Use a wooden or metal potato masher to easily mash plantains.
- Add minced pepper and onions to plantain pancake recipe and serve it as a side dish with main course.
- Makes a great on-the-go snack for kids.