- In small bowl place soy sauce and coat mushrooms, turning several times.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on the pan skitter and dissipate, approximately 3-5 minutes, place mushrooms into skillet. Pour remaining soy sauce over mushrooms. surround mushrooms with red pepper. Cover and cook for approximately 3 1⁄2 minutes.
- Turn mushrooms and peppers and cook for additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms and cook the pepper an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Separate buns, toast if desired, and spread hummus on one side. Place 1⁄2 of ingredients on each bun: avocado, tomato, peppers, lettuce and mushroom. Top with other half of bun.
portabella mushrooms, well rinsed
red bell pepper
whole wheat buns, low-fat, thin
avocado, skinned, pitted, sliced
lettuce leaves, optional
- An avocado is ready for immediate use when you gently squeeze the fruit in your hand and it is firm but will yield to the pressure. Avocados contain 20 essential nutrients including fiber, potassium, vitamin E and B, and folic acid. They also contain monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat to help reduce cholesterol and risk for heart disease. But keep in mind, avocados are high in calories.