8 servings, approximately 1⁄2 cup each (207 g each)
3 Qt./2.8 L Sauce Pan with Cover
small mixing bowl
large mixing bowl
This nutritious blend of delectable tastes combines a nutty flavor with just the right amount of sweetness - and it has wonderful textures. This is a beautiful and healthy side-dish for any meal.
hard red wheat berries (will yield approximately 2 cups cooked)
wild rice, raw (will yield approximately 1 cup cooked)
pecans, toasted, chopped
fresh parsley, chopped
green onions, chopped
- Rinse wheat berries under cool running water. Place water, wheat berries and wild rice in sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, lower heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 1 1⁄2 - 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Wheat berries and rice will be chewy and very slightly crunchy. Remove from heat. Drain and place in large bowl.
- Add cranberries, pecans, parsley and green onions to wheat berries and wild rice.
- In small bowl whisk together lime juice, honey, mustard, salt and pepper to make dressing. Add dressing to wheat berry mixture and mix thoroughly. Serve warm or cold.
- Contrary to popular belief, wheat berries do no need to be soaked overnight before cooking.
- Recipe can be made the day before.
- Leftovers are delicious for the next several days.
- This makes a nice, meatless main dish or take to work for a delicious lunch.