This classic sauce originates from Catalonia and is made throughout Spain. Roasted peppers and tomato make up the base of the rich sauce thickened with nuts, bread and seasoned with varying degrees of heat. Using a few time saving ingredients, this sauce comes together quickly and is perfect as a first course or paired with grilled seafood or a roasted vegetable tray.
- Place Panko-style crumbs, hazelnut flour and garlic in skillet. Turn heat to medium and toast mixture for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring during cooking, until mixture is evenly toasted to a light golden brown. Be careful not to burn mixture. Remove toasted mixture from skillet and set aside.
- In a food processor fitted with an S blade, place drained roasted peppers, tomatoes, smoke paprika, salt, red wine vinegar, fresh ground pepper, parsley and basil. Pulse mixture until coarsely chopped.
- Add toasted mixture to food processor and blend until well combined.
- Taste sauce and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve sauce at room temperature.
- Serve sauce as an appetizer with grilled bread or vegetables.
- Serve with fish or roasted chicken.
- Substitute nut flour for toasted whole nuts and grind in food processor or high power blender.