50 - 60 appetizer balls (1 ball per serving)
Saladmaster Food Processor
7 Qt./6.6 L Roaster with Cover
6 Qt. (5.6L) Culinary Basket
large mixing bowl
Cookie Sheet (12 ½ x 15 ½)
This is a wonderful appetizer recipe that can accommodate your own personal culinary tastes each time you make it. The diversity of this recipe makes cooking fun. Use different herbs and spices, chopped vegetables, or a special sauce, and it's another new and fresh hors d'oeuvre to serve.
Although Saladmaster does not recommend deep frying as part of a healthy lifestyle, you may choose to make fried food on occasion. And for those special times we want to make cooking as easy as possible.
salmon, drained and chopped
potato, baked, remove skin
large onion, julienned, use Cone #2
red, orange or yellow bell pepper, seeded and corded, finely diced
crushed red pepper
gallon + 1 1⁄2 quarts
canola oil for deep frying
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs onto cookie sheet for fast cleanup.
- Place salmon in bowl. Cut potato into very small pieces (or crush with the back of a fork) and add to salmon.
- Add onions, bell peppers, egg, salt, pepper, red pepper, and blend thoroughly (you may want to use your hands to mix).
- Using your hands, scoop about 1⁄2 tablespoon (6.5g) size of the mixture and shape into a tight ball. Roll ball in breadcrumbs on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with additional breadcrumbs if necessary to thoroughly cover. Place balls around edges of cookie sheet in preparation of frying.
- Place culinary basket in roaster and add oil in roaster (the oil will just cover the woven basket portion up to the solid frame of the basket). Set temperature on medium heat. Heat oil to 350°F/175°C - 375°F/190°C; use a thermometer to test temperature before starting to cook. Do not overheat or under-heat oil.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently place 4 balls into the hot oil. Oil will burst into churning bubbles. Cook until golden brown, stirring to cook all sides, approximately 30 seconds.
- Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to capture excess oil.
- Repeat until all balls are cooked. Serve with your favorite sauce.
- Substitute canned chicken or tuna for salmon.
- Substitute green peppers for a stronger taste.
- Substitute leftover mashed potatoes for baked.
- Try with the following easy to make dill sauce for dipping: 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon juice, 1/4 cup (60 g) lite mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon (4.5 g) coarse Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon (14 g) fresh dill, chopped