1 Qt./.9 L Sauce Pan with Cover
5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
Chef Erling Theodorsen
Award winning Norwegian chef
Visit Chef Erling's blog for more delicious Norwegian recipes.
salt and pepper to taste
Savoy or Chinese cabbage, cut off core, wash and separate leaves
red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- In food processor, place 2⁄3 of the salmon, 1⁄2 of both basil and chives, and egg. Blend but do not over-blend as it can separate. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice remaining salmon into thin slices.
- Place water in roaster. Add cabbage leaves and cover. Place heat on medium and cook for approximately 5 - 7 minutes. Leaves will be limp. Uncover and remove pan from heat and drain in colander.
- Dress sauce pan with cabbage creating a "bowl" in the pan with the cabbage leaves. Cabbage will hang over the rim of the pan.
- Add half the salmon mixture into the "bowl" of cabbage in roaster. Add half of the remaining basil and chives and half of the red pepper.
- Add the salmon slices and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the remaining basil, chives and red pepper. Then add the remaining salmon mixture.
- Fold the cabbage leaves toward the center of the pan, covering the top of the salmon.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 - 7 minutes. Then reduce temperature to low and cook for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Place serving plate over top of pan. Turn upside down to vault the Savoy Salmon onto plate. Cut in cake-sized serving pieces.