8 - 10 servings
Mega Skillet Limited Edition
medium mixing bowl
7" Santoku Knife
Chef John Lara
Personal chef to former U.S. President
green pepper, diced
cooking white wine
fresh tomato, chopped
minced fresh thyme
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
simmering chicken stock, low-sodium
ground saffron or saffron threads
shrimps in their shells, shelled and deveined, leaving tails intact
lemon, wedged, for garnish
red bell pepper, diced, for garnish
minced fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat Mega Skillet on medium heat approximately 5 - 7 minutes. When several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, add onions, green peppers and 1⁄4 cup cooking white wine. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add chorizo, tomatoes, garlic and thyme. Stir and cook an additional 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Raise heat to medium and add 5 cups of chicken stock, 1⁄4 cup of cooking white wine and saffron. Stir generously, folding all ingredients together, bringing the stock to a slight simmer. Add rice and stir. Cover and lower temperature to medium-low and cook rice mixture for about 30 minutes.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed by the rice and the grains are tender, but not too soft, add shrimp and mussels.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together remaining cup of chicken stock, remaining 1⁄4 cup of cooking white wine, salt and pepper to taste, and juice from one lemon. Pour over mixture in Mega Skillet, cover and continue cooking 10 - 15 minutes until the mussels open and the shrimp turns pink.
- Let paella stand at room temperature in covered Mega Skillet for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with lemon wedges, red peppers and parsley. Squeeze lemon over servings for added flavor.