Saladmaster Food Processor
3 Qt./2.8 L Sauce Pan with Cover
2.5 Qt. (1.49L) Culinary Basket
large mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Shredded chicken cooks up quickly and flavorfully while remaining moist in the culinary basket. This makes a nice one dish meal perfect for any outdoor warm weather gathering.
chicken breast, boneless, trimmed
salt and pepper to taste
green cabbage, julienned, use Cone #2
radish, julienned, use cone #2
carrots, julienned, use Cone #2
scallions, sliced thinly, both green and white part
snap peas or snow peas, fresh, trimmed and sliced thin on diagonal
bunch cilantro, cleaned, leaves chopped
brown rice vinegar
ground chili pepper
slivered almonds, toasted
- Trim excess fat off of chicken breasts and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breasts in culinary basket and attach Versa Loc™ handles.
- Place sauce pan on stove and add 2 cups (480mL) water to pan. Place cover on sauce pan and turn temperature to medium. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, carefully remove cover.
- Place culinary basket with chicken breasts into sauce pan and cover. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce temperature to low. Cook for approximately 18 - 22 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F/75°C (cooking time will depend on thickness of chicken breast).
- When chicken is cooked, carefully remove chicken breasts from culinary basket and place on platter to cool.
- When chicken breasts are cool, shred chicken into thin strips using 2 forks to pull apart or by hand; or alternately slice into thin pieces.
- Shred cabbage, radishes and carrots into a large bowl. Add scallions, snap peas and chopped cilantro. Pour rice vinegar, olive oil, salt and chili pepper over vegetables and toss to combine.
- To serve, toss shredded chicken with cabbage slaw, adding toasted almonds right before serving to maintain the almonds crunchy texture.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Substitute fresh basil or parsley for cilantro.
- Make a double batch of shredded chicken using the 7 Qt. (6.6L) or 10 Qt. (9.5L) Roaster and 6 Qt. (5.6L) Culinary Basket. Use shredded chicken in burritos, wraps, pasta dishes, salads or with rice and beans.