Approximately 8 servings
Saladmaster Food Processor
small mixing bowl
medium mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Tortas de Aceite are Spanish olive oil flatbreads. These hand-flattened tortas are made by local women in Seville, Spain where they have been made since 1910. Delicious, fruity Spanish olive oil with a variety of flavorings from: sweet, aniseed, lemon, orange and cinnamon to savory herbs; give these flaky flatbreads distinct flavor profiles. Tortas can be topped with a sprinkling of sugar, crushed almonds or left plain. Either way these are delicious as a light snack with coffee, tea, or glass of wine or champagne.
all-purpose unbleached flour
natural salt, fine
orange zest, shredded, use Cone #1
fruity olive oil
water, room temperature
active dry yeast
powdered sugar, sprinkle on top, optional
- Place flour, salt, anise and orange zest in bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl combine, olive oil, water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast on top of mixture and let rest until yeast bubbles and activates, approximately 5 minutes.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture, pour in wet mixture and stir to combine. Stir thoroughly until mixture starts to come together and form a ball.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and soft. This dough comes together very easily. Cover dough with clean cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough in to 8 even pieces and roll dough in to thin 8-inch (20.3 cm) rounds, lightly flouring if necessary to prevent sticking. Roll out the remainder of dough in same manner.
- Preheat pan over low heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, place 1 dough-round on pan. Cook torta over low heat for 3 - 5 minutes, shaking pan occasionally to prevent sticking and for even browning. Turn torta over with metal turner and cook for an additional 3 - 5 minutes until browned.
- Place cooked torta on wire rack to cool and sprinkle tops with powdered sugar.
- Serve torta with fruit, cheese and nut platter.
- Substitute lemon zest for orange zest.
- Spread torta with soft goat cheese and honey, or chutney.
- Serve torta with ice cream, custard or sorbet