4 servings, approximately 3⁄4 cup each (192 g each)
1 Qt./.9 L Sauce Pan with Cover
3 Qt./2.8 L Sauce Pan with Cover
11" Large Skillet with Cover
This spicy side-dish will bring a tasty zing to any meal. Low in calories, fat, sodium and sugar this flavorful grain is a wonderful substitute for rice. With zero cholesterol, quinoa will become a new family basic.
coarse ground mustard
crushed red pepper
cilantro, garnish, optional
- In 1 quart sauce pan place 1 cup (240 mL) water and peas, cover and place on medium heat. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks reduce heat to medium-low. Set cover ajar and simmer for 45 minutes.
- In 3 quart sauce pan place 1 cup (240 mL) of water and quinoa, cover and splace on medium heat. when Vapo Valve™ clicks reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. When all water has absorbed remove from heat, fluff, recover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place skillet on medium-low heat. Combine chicken broth, mustard, cumin, curry, turmeric, red pepper, salt, lemon juice and peas. Stir approximately 2 minutes until simmering.
- Add spinach and continue to cook, stirring until spinach is wilted, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add quinoa and stir until heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro, if desired.