6 servings, 1 apple per serving
5 Qt./4.7 L Multi-Purpose Oil Core
medium mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Warm baked apples stuffed with sweet and fragrant apple bits and nutty, buttery crumble topping are a delicious fall treat. Serve the apples with a dollop of yogurt, ice cream or your favorite non-dairy frozen dessert.
Gala apples (or other baking apples), rinsed
organic pastry flour or unbleached white flour
organic sweet butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- Trim a little off of the bottom of each apple, if necessary, so they sit up straight. Slice off the top fourth of the apple. Using a melon baller or a small spoon, first scoop out seeds in center of each apple and discard. Scoop out just enough of the flesh in the apple to form a bowl shape.
- Chop up apple tops and scooped out flesh in small dice. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Combine rolled oats, flour, pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and salt in a bowl. Mix to combine. Cut the butter into flour mixture with two forks or a pastry knife until mixture is crumbly.
- Place half of the crumble mixture into the bowl with apple pieces. Stir to combine.
- Divide mixture, with apple pieces, evenly between apples and pack into scooped out center with a spoon.
- Place each apple into MP5 when it is filled. Top stuffed apples with remaining crumble topping, dividing evenly between each apple.
- Squeeze lemon juice over top of apples.
- Place cover on MP5 and set temperature to 350°F/175°C. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce temperature to 225°F/110°C and cook for 50 - 60 minutes until apples are soft.
- Serve apples warm.
- For a gluten-free apple filling, substitute pastry flour for gluten-free flour mix.
- Substitute butter for coconut oil.
- If you like a crispier topping, remove apples from MP5 and place in the 11 in. (27.9cm) Skillet. Transfer skillet to the oven and broil apples for a few minutes.