6 - 8 servings
Saladmaster Food Processor
Oval Baking Dish
Natural Foods Chef & Certified Health Coach. Cathy uses real, local and seasonal natural foods as her inspiration in developing meal plans and recipes, teaching hands on classes and educating her clients.
Natural foods are your ally in supporting good health and addressing health conditions throughout life. This super simple dish highlights summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes and fresh garden herbs. Slicing all of the vegetables is made easy using the Saladmaster machine.
zucchini squash, washed, trim ends and waffled, use Cone #5
yellow summer squash, washed, trim ends and waffled, use Cone #5
medium onion, strung, use Cone #2
garlic, peeled, minced
medium slicing tomatoes, trim ends, slice into 1⁄2 slices
panko style bread crumbs, whole grain, organic preferred
mixed herbs, fresh, chopped, (used basil, parsley and a little rosemary)
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.
- Place waffled zucchini slices on bottom of oval baking dish, covering bottom entirely.
- Season zucchini with salt and pepper.
- Layer 1⁄2 of sliced tomato on top of zucchini slices, covering zucchini, overlapping if necessary.
- Sprinkle 1⁄2 of panko crumbs and 1⁄2 of herb mix on top of tomato slices.
- Sprinkle onions and garlic on top of panko crumb mix and spreading out evenly.
- Layer waffled yellow summer squash on top.
- Season yellow squash with salt and pepper.
- Layer remaining tomato slices on top of yellow squash.
- Top tomato slices with remaining panko crumbs and herb mix.
- Cover casserole and bake in 350°F/177°C oven for approximately 20 - 30 minutes until squash is tender/crisp.
- If you like the top a little browned, place under oven broiler for a few minutes.
- Add grated Parmesan, pecorino Romano or feta cheese crumbles to vegetable layers if desired.
- This dish is delicious warm or at room temperature.
- Do not over bake as you want the ingredients to remain tender but not mushy.