The sweet potato, dark in color and rich in antioxidants is a tasty root vegetable that can be eaten year round. There are many varieties of sweet potato available including the Jersey sweet potato, with a dry yellow flesh. The deep orange and purplish tinge sweet potato is also called jewel or garnet yams.
Sweet potato can be used in soups, spicy oven fries, substituted for winter squash or carrots, baked, roasted and combined with grains and herbs or in a dessert, like the classic sweet potato pie.
Combine seasoned Italian sausage and sweet potato in this easy-to-prepare breakfast hash, lower in fat but bursting with sweetness and flavor.
- Place water in sauce pan over medium-high heat and bring to rolling boil.
- While water is heating, remove sausage from casing and place in bottom of culinary basket, spreading sausage out in bottom of basket to allow even cooking.
- When water is boiling, place culinary basket in sauce pan and cover.
- Cook for 5 minutes, carefully uncover and gently stir meat with a long handles spoon, breaking up pieces and allowing vapor to reach uncooked meat.
- Cover and cook another 5 - 6 minutes until meat is cooked thoroughly.
- When meat is done, remove the culinary basket, shake off excess liquid and pour meat into a mixing bowl. Discard water and fat drippings in the bottom of the sauce pan.
- Place onions, sweet potato and apple into mixing bowl with cooked sausage. Stir gently to combine. Add salt and egg, and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat skillet on medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes, add sweet potato and sausage mixture using a spoon to spread mixture out to cover bottom of skillet. Place cover slightly ajar on skillet. Cook mixture 20 - 25 minutes, stirring every 5 - 7 minutes. The mixture will begin to stick when moisture starts to evaporate. Don't worry, use the Saladmaster turner to scrape under mixture and turn over.
- Place hash under broiler for an additional 5 - 8 minutes at the end of cooking for a nice golden, slightly crispy texture, if desired.
- Serve with a side dish of steamed vegetables such as broccoli or spinach.
- Substitute sweet Italian sausage for hot sausage for a spicier combination.
- Make sure you have attached the Versa Loc handles to culinary basket and sauce pan before cooking to ensure easy and safe handling.
- For easy clean up, drain cooking liquid and drippings from bottom of sauce pan then place sauce pan with culinary basket in the sink. Fill sauce pan and culinary basket with hot soapy water and soak for about 10 minutes. Use the Saladmaster cleaning brush to loosen particles stuck in culinary basket. Flip culinary basket over and gently spray with water.