Collard greens are mild tasting dark leafy greens that are high in calcium. They are also a popular side dish in Southern cooking, usually cooked with bacon or pork for added flavor. This vegan version is flavored with tempeh, a traditionally fermented soy product, onions, garlic and shitake mushrooms
- Preheat pan over medium-high heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in pan skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes, add onions and garlic. Sauté for 4 - 5 minutes until onions and garlic are lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms and tempeh. Sauté for 2 - 3 minutes, being careful not to break tempeh apart; it will start to stick slightly to the pan.
- Pour stock and apple cider vinegar in pan to deglaze, stirring to loosen any stuck bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add greens and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine and place cover on pan.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 - 30 minutes until collard greens are cooked to your desired consistency.
- Serve collard greens as is or on top of mashed potatoes or with a baked sweet potato.
- Substitute tempeh for turkey bacon or pork bacon.