Make it fresh - the 10 Quart/9.5 L Roaster is the perfect tool for making homemade stock. The delicious and savory flavor of homemde stock, rather than store-bought, adds the delectable essence of freshness but with no chemicals or preservatives added. And you'll have enough to freeze for later meals. This essential basic is a taste that makes a big difference in the many foods to which it's added.
- Preheat roaster over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on the pan skitter and dissipate, approximately 3 minutes, place onions, leeks, celery, cabbage, carrots, turnips, tomato, garlic, fennel and cloves into roaster and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add cold water and Sachet D'Epices. Bring to a low-simmer and simmer slowly uncovered for 90 minutes.
- Place colander in a large bowl. Place a cheese cloth spread out in colander. Ladle contents from the roaster through the cheesecloth. Squeeze all liquid through cheesecloth into bowl. After straining, throw out the cheesecloth with the vegetables remaining in the cheesecloth.
- If not using immediately, place in storage containers or zip-lock bags for freezing.
- Place all ingredients on a piece of 4-inch square cheesecloth. Tie with twine, leaving a tail of string to tie to the roaster handle.
- Can use for many foods such as a base for soup or stew, sauces, cooking rice or grains, or basting meats.
- Freeze in small quantities. When frozen in smaller containers you need only thaw what you will use for that specific occasion.