Approximately 30 stuffed leaves; 10 servings, 3 stuffed leaves per serving
Saladmaster Food Processor
10" Chef's Gourmet Skillet
5 Qt./4.7 L Multi-Purpose Oil Core
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Stuffed grape leaves, known as Dolmas, are popular throughout the Middle East and Southern Europe. The fillings are varied; some using ground meat and a variety of spices and others with a simple rice filling or with additional vegetables.
short grain brown rice
onions, minced, use Cone #1
pine nuts or hemp seeds
lemon, zest, use Cone #1
fresh parsley and mint leaves, chopped
grape leaves, brined in jar, stems trimmed off
- Rinse rice and place in bowl. Cover rice with hot water and soak for 15 minutes. Drain, rinse and shake off excess water.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 7 - 9 minutes, add onions and sauté for 3 - 4 minutes until softened.
- Add pine nuts and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes until they start to brown lightly and become fragrant.
- Add drained rice, salt, cinnamon and lemon zest. Sauté for 1 - 2 minutes. Add chopped herbs and stir to combine.
- Remove filling from MP5 and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Remove grape leaves carefully from jar. Drain off brine and rinse with hot water.
- Line the bottom of the MP5 with 2 or 3 grape leaves. You can use any broken or torn ones for this.
- On a clean surface, place a grape leaf shiny side down with the stem towards you. Place 1 tablespoon of filling on the bottom, center of the leave and above the stem. Fold the bottom section up to cover the filing, rolling around filling. Fold in sides toward the center into a firm but not too tight roll, until it is completely rolled up.
- Continue to roll remainder of filling into grape leaves. Place rolls in a single layer, seam side down, and close together to cover bottom of MP5. Place remaining rolls in a second layer on top of rolls in same way.
- Pour vegetable stock, lemon juice and olive oil over top of rolls.
- Place cover on MP5 and turn temperature to 375°F/190°C. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce temperature to 200°F/95°C and set time to 60 minutes.
- When cooking time is done, let rolls rest for 10 minutes. Test a roll to make sure filling is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve stuffed leaves at room temperature as part of an appetizer plate with olives and other accompaniments.
- The following make a flavorful addition to your basic filling: ½ cup of minced vegetables, fennel, mushrooms, tomatoes or summer squash. Add to skillet for sautéing at same time as pine nuts.
- Substitute short grain brown rice for long grain white rice and adjust cooking time to 35 - 40 minutes.
- Serve stuffed leaves as is or with a simple sauce made with plain yogurt, fresh lemon juice, salt and chopped herbs to drizzle on top.