8 servings, approximately 1⁄2 cup each (96 g each)
3 Qt./2.8 L Sauce Pan with Cover
small mixing bowl
large mixing bowl
The tangy taste of fruit with a nutty undertone makes this not only a healthy side-dish but one that will bring everyone back for seconds. But not to worry, wheat berries are low-calorie, nutrient-rich grain that is a valuable addition to your diet.
hard red wheat berries,
red apple, processed, use Cone #3
- Rinse wheat berries under cool running water. Place water and wheat berries in sauce pan, cover, and bring to boil over medium heat. When Vapo- Valve™ clicks, lower heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. Wheat berries will be chewy and very slightly crunchy. Remove from heat. Drain if necessary.
- Place orange juice and cranberries into small bowl and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Combine wheat berries, apple and pecans in large bowl and stir.
- Scoop out cranberries with slotted spoon, reserving juice, and stir cranberries into the wheat berry mixutre.
- In reserved juice whisk in vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over the wheat berry mixture and stir gently to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Recipe can be made the day before. Lefovers are delicious for the next several days.