Saladmaster Food Processor
5 Qt./4.7 L Gourmet Wok with Cover
pearled barley, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
medium shallots, sliced, use Cone #4
garlic cloves, shredded, use Cone #1
cremini mushrooms, sliced, use Cone #4
kale, torn into bite size pieces
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat wok over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, add shallots and sauté until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, herbs and barley and sauté an additional minute.
- Add wine, 1 cup (240 mL) of vegetable stock, and salt and pepper. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the barley has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Add 1 cup (240 mL) of vegetable stock and allow it to be absorbed. Repeat twice more with remaining vegetable stock.
- Add mushrooms with final cup of vegetable stock and cook until tender.
- Add kale and cook until wilted and bright green.
- When barley is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, spoon into bowls and serve.
- As you add each additional cup of vegetable stock, turn the cooking temperature down slightly. When it is time to add the kale, your temperature will between low and medium. Stir occasionally between each step.