Yellow rice is a favorite staple item in many households. It is easy to make this delicious side-dish healthier by adding in your own spice blend and choosing whole grain brown basmati rice. Skip the package spice mix and add homemade or store bought low-sodium stock for better flavor and reduced overall sodium.
- Heat sauce pan over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, add onions and celery and sauté for about 4 - 6 minutes until onions start to soften; stirring occasionally.
- Add turmeric, garlic and cumin. Stir spices into vegetables to coat and lightly toast spices; being careful not to burn spices.
- Add brown basmati rice and mix thoroughly with vegetables and spices.
- Pour in stock and add salt. Stir to combine and cover. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 45 - 50 minutes until rice is cooked.
- Carefully lift cover and place peas on top of rice. Re-cover and turn off heat. Let rice rest with cover on for 10 minutes.
- While rice is resting, heat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, add sausage and cover with lid slightly ajar. Cook sausage according to package directions until heated through and evenly browned.
- Remove cover from rice and toss with fork to incorporate peas and to fluff rice.
- To serve, place portion of rice and peas on plate and top with roasted sausage.
- Garnish rice with chopped tomato and scallions.
- Yellow rice refers to the color of rice by addition of turmeric or, sometimes, saffron.
- Omit pan roasted sausage and serve fragrant yellow rice as a side dish with your favorite chicken or fish.
- Omit peas and replace with cooked black bean or pinto beans for a vegan entrée.
- Spice it up by adding in crushed red pepper flakes, a dash or two of hot sauce, or a minced jalapeño pepper to sautéed vegetables.
- Can substitute long grain white rice for basmati.