The end of the year holidays are fast approaching and we can all use some tips on how to bring healthier choices to these special feasts.
As an example of how carried away we can get at the holiday dinner or buffet table, the average American consumes a staggering 10,000 calories throughout Thanksgiving Day! And according to the Caloric Control Council, this over consumption of calories leads to a gain of one pound of weight that will never be lost.
Luckily, there are many simple tricks to keep our days of celebration from turning into days of waistline expansion.
Lower Fat, Cholesterol and Calories
All oil, vegetable or not, is 100% fat and each gram contains 9 calories.
- Sauté without oil to keep fat and calories low. Use a few tablespoons of water or vegetable broth, if necessary.
- Many homemade sauces have less sugar than canned sauces.
- Swap vegetable broth or white wine instead of butter when adding flavors to foods.
- Minimize the amount of animal products because they are much higher in fat than plant foods.
- Substitute rice milk for traditional milk in baked goods. This will lower fat and eliminate cholesterol.
- Use apple juice concentrate in place of corn syrup to sweeten foods.
Fiber is found in all plant foods and provides a sense of "fullness" and satisfaction. The more fiber we eat, the fewer calories we will consume.
- Serve whole-wheat baked goods instead of those made with refined white flour.
- Add a side of leafy green vegetables or beans to meals.
- Serve a high-fiber appetizer to snack on before a special meal.
- Use pureed white beans rather than heavy cream to thicken soups.
- Don't overcook vegetables; overcooking can destroy nutrients that provide a full feeling in the stomach.
Meals made at home are healthier, more nutritious and have less fat than store-bought processed foods. Using Saladmaster cookware makes it easy to create delicious meals that are lower in fat and higher in nutrients without added preservatives, oils and high fructose corn syrup, all of which can wreak havoc on our waistlines.
Using Saladmaster cookware, along with the above tips, can help us breeze through the holidays without adding extra pounds. And when we stay on a healthy eating path, we can reward ourselves with dessert!