By Ivy Ho, Authorized Saladmaster Dealer
The holidays are fast approaching, and so what better time for some ideas for dinner to help save you time in the kitchen while cooking up a delicious holiday feast! This is the first of a five-part series of videos designed to give you some simple recipes and tips that will help you in the kitchen as well as show you some ways to use your Saladmaster 316Ti Cookware that you may not have thought of.
This week’s video shows you how to cook a turkey breast in your Saladmaster 316Ti Electric Skillet. In the coming weeks, we will also be showing you an example of stack cooking, creating a delicious potato and green bean salad, and baking up some scrumptious turnovers, as well as giving simple recipes for leftovers. But first, let’s get to the main event – that turkey breast.
I chose a turkey breast because it cooks a bit faster and it is a perfect fit for the electric skillet. Although this is a Saladmaster Electric Skillet recipe, this same technique will also work for a whole turkey, but you may need a bigger roaster – the 10 Qt. or 16 Qt. Step 2 below is optional, but will help your turkey breast cook faster.
- Preheat Saladmaster 316Ti Electric Skillet at 450°F/230°C.
- Pat dry with a paper towel the surface of your turkey (particularly if you rinsed the turkey).
- Make a single slit lengthwise along the bottom - middle of turkey breast.
- Rub the seasonings on the outside of the turkey breast. If you leave on the skin, rub on and under the skin. Also note that if you leave the skin on, your drippings will be greasier.
- Place turkey breast on side in skillet. Using the Saladmaster 316Ti 5 Qt. Wok as the lid, cover and roast for 10 - 15 minutes (until golden brown).
- Flip turkey breast to other side, and add sweet potatoes and onions.
- Replace cover over the turkey breast and reduce heat to 375°F/190°C.
- As the turkey cooks and you notice water begins bubbling around edge of the wok being used as the lid, or you can spin the wok around the electric skillet, reduce heat to 200°F/90°C.
- Total cooking time after reducing heat from 450° to 375° should be about 1 - 2 hours or 15 minutes per pound.
See the full recipe for a list of ingredients as well as instructions for making gravy.
- For cooking a whole turkey, you may need to add about 5 minutes per pound.
- Add your sweet potatoes and onions later in the process to avoid over-cooking them. Place your turkey in the roaster, set heat to medium (or 5 on the dial), and then put the lid on the pan. Once the Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily turn to low heat.
- For stovetop turkey roasting, you will not be able to flip the turkey. So to brown your turkey, simply place the turkey in the oven uncovered for 5 - 10 minutes after your turkey is finished cooking.
- One way to achieve a beautiful golden brown look is to apply a little olive oil and bread crumbs before placing in the oven.
That’s it! It’s so easy and the best part is you don’t need to watch or baste your turkey. Thanks for watching and join us next week when we show another fantastic and simple recipe: Potato and Green Bean Salad with stack cooking!
For more information about Saladmaster 316Ti Stainless Steel Cookware, please visit www.saladmaster.com.