By "Chef" Pete Updike, Authorized Saladmaster Dealer
Since the addition of the Saladmaster Culinary Baskets, I have loved all of the possibilities that have become available. This recipe is a No-Mess Deep Dish Veggie Pizza that can be cooked in either size basket. For purposes of this article, I will give directions on cooking the pizza in the larger 6 Qt./5.67L Culinary Basket used with the 10 Qt./9.5L Roaster; however, you can also use the 2.5 Qt./1.49 L Culinary Basket with 3 Qt./2.8L Sauce Pan by halving the recipe.
Here is a sample recipe, but feel free to use your favorite vegetables.
- 2 medium carrots, shredded, use Cone #1
- 1 zucchini, julienned, use Cone #2
- 1/2 head green cabbage, processed, use Cone #2
- 1 yellow squash, julienned, use Cone #2
- 1 celery stalk, strung, use Cone #2 (when cutting celery, place the strings to the back of the hopper so that the strings can be discarded after cutting)
- 1/2 yellow or purple onion, strung, use Cone #2
- 2 small bell peppers (green, red, orange or yellow), julienned, use Cone #2, or sliced
- 1 8-ounce block Mozzarella cheese, strung, use Cone #2
- pizza dough, homemade or pre-packaged
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- Preheat 10 Qt. Roaster, dry and covered, over medium heat.
- While roaster is preheating, cut vegetables directly into a bowl and mix to combine. Shred the cheese and set aside.
- Place parchment paper in bottom of basket and form so paper comes up the sides about two inches.
- Place dough in basket and spread evenly around bottom of basket. There will be excess dough up the sides and around the edge; simply fold it under to create a thick bead of dough that will contain the ingredients.
- Pour pizza sauce over dough and spread evenly.
- Spread approximately 2 1/4 cups of the vegetables on top of sauce. Sprinkle cheese on top of vegetables.
- Place basket into roaster and cover. Cook pizza over medium heat for approximately 20 - 25 minutes.
- When preparing a smaller pizza in the 2.5 Qt./1.49L Culinary Basket, simply reduce each ingredient by half and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
Cooking your pizza in the Culinary Basket is just like placing your pizza on a cookie sheet and into a preheated over, yet you are using less energy!
You will find the thick crust and cheese melted in to the vegetables will be a delicious twist to the standard veggie pizza. Enjoy!